It is already that time of the year again when TV Guide Canada’s Nelson Branco, looks into this proverbial soap crystal ball and comes up with some super-sized, out-there and hilarious predictions for your favorite soaps in 2010, and the industry as a hole. It’s a must read with plenty to ponder, and plenty to get a great big smirk out of. Branco goes around the horn and gives each of your favorite soaps its very own fearless predictions. But here is his list for the inudstry in general!
* Not satisfied with killing all their soaps, P&G/TeleNext manages to cancel One Life and AMC!
• Web shows begin to draw more viewers than their daytime counterparts.
• CBS honcho Les Moonves tells his Daytime VP, Barbara Bloom, that her day is over.
• Soap Opera Digest makes Michael Muhney their No. 1 cover star prompting Joshua Morrow and Eric Braeden to create their own magazine, Restless Lotharios Weekly.
• In an effort to boost revenue, Source Link adds another soap title to their current publication lineup (which features Soap Opera Digest and Soap Opera Weekly) titled X-Rated Soap Stars Exposed Monthly. Naturally, Eric Braeden graces the first cover followed by Joshua Morrow. Furious, Michael Muhney gets in trouble from his bosses when he nude tweets during a drunken Twittering rampage. “It was cold outside, OK?” he later claims.
• The networks focus on mining new talent in a rejuvenated writers’ development program — and actually hires them to pen their scripts.
• A new, more effective ratings system proves more people are watching soaps than we know.
• ABC Daytime President Brian Frons discovers a cost-cutting new measure to help decrease soap overhead — using avatars, à la James Cameron, instead of real actors.
To view the entire future of 2010 in soaps click here!