25 November 7th, 2011 UPDATE: Jonathan Jackson LEAVING General Hospital!

Shocking news today first out of Soap Opera Digest! It looks like four-time Daytime Emmy winner Jonathan Jackson (Lucky) will be leaving General Hospital in early 2012.

According to SOD, “While the show would not confirm, insiders say that it’s a done deal. There’s no word yet if the show plans to recast.

UPDATE from TV Guide late today! Jonathan will shoot his final scenes as Lucky Spencer on November 17.  Word from the set is that the beloved and acclaimed actor is exhausted from a heavy work schedule and months of a harrowing storylines that have included the death of Lucky’s child and the character’s addiction to drugs.  Sources say Jackson had attempted to get GH execs to lighten his schedule with no luck. He also wanted to be romantically reteamed with Rebecca Herbst (Liz) but struck out there, too. The actor has already completed his final scenes with TV dad Tony Geary (Luke). Look for Jackson to be off the air by mid-to-late December.”

With Jackson is leaving that will make another signiifcant blow to the cast which is known for its unbelievable acting chops and performances as GH moves into 2012 a key year as to whether the show has legs and a future with the alphabet network or will be on the chopping block.

Stay tuned for more on developments on Jackson leaving Port Charles as they become available!

Tags: , ,

1. Maureen says:

Heaven forbid ABC and GH give Jonathan what he has been requesting and thus by default also give fans what they would want…like a reunion of a beloved (and very beleaguered) couple. Because that might just draw fans to the show and increase ratings which doesn’t help their soap-killing plans when trying to rid themselves of their daytime drama.

Much better to only give the fans what they want after the official cancellation announcement has been made.

i’m really sad to see jonathan go, agian this proves GH doesn’t care one way or the other who stays and goes. GH should be trying so hard to be the best they can be yet instead they keep proving time and time again that they don’t care, and if the people who run the show don’t care then how do they expect us to?, what was the point of bringing jonathan back if it wasn’t to reteam him w/ rebecca? they could’ve done a wonderfull compelling quadrangle along w/ sam and jason yet, the show keeps doing the opposite of what fans are begging them to do. they must think we are morons, because no matter what we ask for or beg for we end up getting the opposite!..

3. Webbie says:

This is another blow to the beleaguered show. First we hear that Genie probably won’t be back and now JJ is gone. I can’t blame him for wanting to lighten the load, and I wish him well.

he will be missed…

5. Blake says:

Funny that Jill Farren Phelps (the executive producer) did the same thing she did to Beverly McKinsey (Alexandra on Guiding Light) when she worked on GL back in 1992. Beverly didn’t like being in a storyline where she was so mean to her onscreen son and his fiancee and she expressed it and it fell on deaf ears. So Beverly gave her six weeks notice when she took her six week vacation lol.
    With Frons, JFP and Guza and Wolf running the show no wonder GH is a sinking ship and has been for a while now.

6. Mary Anne Robertson says:

I’m sadden that he is leaving. He is a very talented actor. I’ve been watching GH for 30 years now. I just don’t understand why GH is doing what they are doing now with their storylines and letting excellent actors go or fire them. It is very sad to see this great show go down hill lately.

7. mike says:

There is only one thing to say, GREG VAUGHAN.

Nell replied

I absolutely, 100% agree! Bring Greg Vaughn back as Lucky. Jonathan Jackson was great before he left the first time. Ever since he came back, I simply cannot stomach watching him in any scene. He was a fantastic young Lucky but stinks to high heaven as an adult Lucky.

Sorry, I won’t miss him but wish him the very best!

8. Chantal says:

Will he be off the air in early 2012 or mid-december??? Kind of confusing…

9. Scott says:

Thank goodness. He seemed too off-put for the role, IMO.

BRING BACK GREG VAUGHAN!!! HE WAS LUCKY SPENCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. missyk says:

hate to admit but i’d rather see lucky gone than see him back with his cheating ex-wife. lucky deserves better. i have loved lucky for a long time – good lucky jj!

11. kate says:

lucky is such a great character!! I am sad to see he is leaving

12. ethel says:

my heart is very saddened by this devastating news about jonathan – i remember his first scene on gh when he still a kid – gh is loosing such an extraordinary actor who is one of the best if not the best males actors in daytime right now – what are they thinking??
    i know he will land on his feet and be awesome in whatever he does next in his carrer – i am so disappointed that tiic &tptb let this happen……….

ethel replied

i meant was still a kid..

13. Iakovos says:

This is sad news. Jackson really works as Geary’s son. Such a perfect cast. He will be missed but stories go on. That is nature of daytime drama. Maybe the previousl replacement will be available. He did a very good job, too. Issues with GH are with the web, yes, but with the writing. This is not the show I enjoyed years ago. Too much mob and darkness now. Lighten up and find the joy in Port Charles, please!

14. kay killgore says:

Well, the man knows a sinking ship when he sees one. I never could figure out why he came back he has his band, doing films he was doing fine. I don’t think they will recast because I think TG will retire and I heard the actress who plays Lulu is considering leaving.

15. Avril says:

Oh, Lord – don’t bring Greg Vaughn back… as much as I enjoy him as an actor his version of Lucky was washed out and whiny!!

16. My2Cents says:

Surely this can’t be a surprise? It was leaked out last spring he was going to be done my Christmas time.
    Whose next?? Robin?? I think so.

17. FP says:

I just can’t figure out why JJ stayed with the trainwreck that is now GH THIS long. Best wishes to him. As for those who think that GV should return, I wouldn’t wish this show on my worst enemy, let alone a great guy like him. Besides, GV is working pretty steadily now and, unless I heard wrong, he’s landed a primetime series for sometime in the new year.

18. SS says:

I didn’t really want to see him back with Liz after all they’d put between them but if he thought it was a good idea, I think he’s smart, knows his character and they should have listened to him. Or at least calmed down on victimizing his character so much, he’s probably exhausted.

If the show was more balance, and they gave all the actors something to do, then actors like jonathan, wouldn’t feel burn out . Its sad that the show isn’t willing to give him less to do,if thats what he wants for now. How bout giving someone else a little attention? Whats sad is that GH has such great history, and great actors, if they only had great people running it, then this show would be the easiest to fix. Theres no reason why GH shouldn’t be great, and enjoying the kind of high oltl is experiencing, but then oltl has been cancelled, so its kind of sad that ABC is killing their soaps.

20. david says:

Very sad to see him go. Give him what he wants so he will reconsider. GH cannot afford to lose him without the show taking a hit. Liz should return to Lucky after she’s finished being distracted by Matt. Jackson and Herbst are great together. GH needs both if it hopes to continue.

21. Crystal Harrison says:

He was the original and the very best Lucky. I hope he just takes a rest and comes back for I love both the character and the actor.

22. Brenda says:

I would be happy about his leaving if they would bring back Greg Vaughn! Jonathan is too much of a whimp for me!

23. Amber says:

JJ was the BEST lucky spencer, it’s so sad that he’s leaving. WHY couldn’t GH listen to him? He knows this character better than anyone. GH was great back in the 90′s…now it just SUCKS! I loved the Spencer Family but now all the great actors keep leaving. Maybe GH needs to take a hint…listen to the actors, they know what will work and what wont because they actually listen to the fans!