60 September 23rd, 2013 “You Killed Romeo” Debuts On Y&R Written and Performed by Steve Burton and Jonathan Jackson! – Watch the Montage & Hear The Song!

Courtesy/CBS

What a wonderful surprise today for fans of The Young and the Restless Steve Burton (Dylan) and Nashville star Jonathan Jackson (Avery).  The two talented men who soap fans first loved for their roles on General Hospital collaborated on a new song that was heard in the ending montage on today’s episode of Y&R!   The song, You Killed Romeo will be available for download tomorrow on iTunes, so you can get your copy for your own private play list!

Burton spoke to Soap Opera Digest about how it all came out,  “I always had this idea for a song called ‘You Killed Romeo.’ Then I started going through this story at work and it inspired me to sit down and write lyrics again. I don’t have any musical background. I can’t put melodies together or compose music, but my family and Jonathan’s family have been hanging out since he lives here, and I asked Jonathan, ‘I have these lyrics. Do you think you can take a look at them and maybe see if you could write some music for them?’ And he said, ‘Yeah. I’ve never done that before. I’ve never taken someone else’s words and composed music and made it a song.’ I emailed him the lyrics and within a week-and-a-half, he’s like, ‘I’ve got something rough. Why don’t you take a listen.’ So, I’m at his house, he played it on the piano and I’m like, ‘Dude, this is unbelievable. You are amazing!”‘

When Steve and Jonathan went into record it, it is the beautiful voice of Jonathan Jackson as the lead vocalist, with background vocals by Burton.  Next, when Burton approached Y&R about using the song, it was a go, because as you will see in the montage from today’s episode, the tune  worked perfectly for the storylines and fallout for Chelsea/Adam/Dylan and Avery and Nick!

Watch the montage and listen to the song after the jump!  Let us know what you thought of it!  Will you be purchasing your copy on iTunes on Tuesday?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Anne Hill says:

This song and the video while it was playing , touched me so much. I searched till I found who wrote and who sung it. I am amazed ! WOW. As soon as it is available I am buying it. I think it’s got to be one of my top songs now. I love it…so sad to see these two guys that play my favorites being so sad…the song said it all…………

2. Nita says:

Beautiful will purchase it on itunes tomorrow!

3. lisa says:

Watched the episode on Friday…beautiful song guys,beautiful !!
    Didn’t even know it was the two of you.

4. Dee Whittenbarger says:

Absolutely Love it can’t wait to buy it !!

5. M. Gilbert says:

Beautiful song

6. Kim Harvey says:

I loved the song and it was so perfect for the scenes playing during its debut!And then to read Steve wrote it!WOW.Just wonderful and moving.

7. JeanMarie Sullivan says:

Awesome. I love it!

8. Harry says:

Impressive as all hell and I am really particular about music. JJ has a beautiful voice and Burton really wrote a beautiful song. Burton is also pulling in an amazingly compelling performance as the heart broken, world weary vet. It’s clear he did a good thing leaving GH,

9. Em says:

cried a lot, very moving fit it perfectly

10. Robin says:

what a beautiful song! Best song I have heard in a While! Congratulations Steve and Johnathan what a Hit!

11. Rhonda says:

What a beautiful song. The words are perfect. I will definitely down load the song. Very powerful!

12. Annette P says:

A song that touches your heart fantastic job both of you,will fly off iTunes tomorrow.

13. k/kay says:

The song is nice enough but I really wished I felt something for these characters none of them have any chemistry with each other. I mean wasn’t Nick married last year at this time to Phyllis now he is madly in love with Avery. Huh??? Sharon going around crazy eyed for someone who dropped her after their daughter died. Chelsea the con artist Adam the baby snatcher, baby killer and then their is Dudley Do Right/Dylan. Sad!

14. Mary Beth Walsh says:

Just beautiful….a perfect song for the goings on at Y&R today.

15. DawnL says:

That is such a beautiful song. Those words written by Steve Burton are so heartfelt and beautiful. Then you have the wonderful arrangement and signing by Jonathan Jackson to complete the song. I’m so impressed and will definitely buy the gem.

16. su0000 says:

The song is OK but too downbeat to keep, so a good fit with Y&R which is a total downbeat these days YAWNNNNN!

There are dull uneventful common breakups I saw coming a mile away and the other story, Adam, Jack, Victor fighting over NE another on going YAWNNN..
    And the Nikki baby story has been dull and a bit stupid,
    ohh well what can ya do lol ..
    the song will not help Y&R but it was not bad.

17. Sheryl says:

This is epic!!! What a painfully emotional, yet lyrical song, and that voice of JJ omg is so beautiful!!! Great lyrics and kudos to Steve Burton, and awesome vocalist(I follow him on Nashville)…. headed for the bigtime….fast!! This left me speechless …….reminded me of my son’s fiancée breaking up with him….words are fitting. Truly gifted people brought us this song!

18. Ariana says:

LOVE this song!! Steve is absolutely amazing, would never had guessed it was him. Such talent. :)

WOW… loved it!!! It was great with the scenes and it was beautiful!!! Congratulations Steve and Jonathan!!! Thanks Michael for sharing!!! Y&R made terrific decision in airing this!!! Hope it sells well!

20. Marilyn Gardner says:

LOVED the song! It was absolutely beautiful.

21. yvonne says:

Wow! Steve Burton is hott n so is this song! Great great song guys! Jonathan Jackson is amazing! Thanx can’t wait to download! N hope to hear it on the radio asap!

22. Darlene says:

Yes, will download from Itues on Tuesday. Great song.

23. Susan says:

As soon as I heard 1/2 of song I went straight to I-tunes! Glad I found out here it will be available tomorrow – it is fantastic!!!!!

24. anna says:

Love it. Will definitely buy it. Y&R had another song on quite a while back, “When the Wind Blows” (I think that was the name). Would love to purchase that but can’t find it anywhere. Love Dylan and Avery together, as well as Adam and Chelsea.

25. TJ says:

No amount of self promotion nor JFP over propping could ever make me watch Steve Burton.

Y&R died when JFP threw out superb actors for this one.
    Now Y&R is gone and Burton’s self promotion and your promotion of him does not make him interesting

PatF replied

While the song is good, I also can’t get past the fact that Phelps keeps Burton on that pedestal. It’s very unusual.

I wonder what others on the show are thinking of yet another example of what is obvious favoritism to an actor that’s only been on the show for 9 months.

So glaring. So odd.

k/kay replied

The other actors except for those who have decided which side their bread is buttered on are holding their nose and grinning and bearing it oh how I wish my beloved Terry Lester/original Jack was still alive to hear what he would say would be music to my ears.

rachie replied

I love the song but cant stand Burton on Y&R. I used to be a big fan of his but this role does absolutely nothing for me needs to go elsewhere. Soap producers need to realize fans feel strongly about long term characters and some changes are for the worst. I used to watch Y&R now just stick to GH things were better with old casting. JJ has a wonderful voice and seems to always land a good role where ever he goes. Burton is a wonderful actor and obviously talented writer but go back to GH or maybe Nashville. Dylan is to boring!

26. Kelli says:

I loved the song when I heard it in today’s episode and to know that these two very talented (and gorgeous) men are responsible for it make me like it even more! Two of my favorite shows!

ummm, not impress!

blake replied

right?

28. Hope Martin says:

I love it! Didnt even know it was by them. Definitely will be ordering it.

29. Nikki says:

I love Steve and JJ. Beautiful song and vocals all around!

30. Karen T. says:

I LOVE THIS SONG…IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!! It really touches the heart. As soon as I heard it I began searching to find the exact name and who made it!!! I will definitely be purchasing as soon as it is available!! THANK YOU STEVE BURTON (DYLAN :-) ), I LOVE THIS SONG AND YOU!!!

31. Rahel says:

Beautiful song!

32. Mario says:

What an emotional heart jerking tune. Song is incredible.

33. boes says:

They really should have just done a remix of the Monster Mash, since the performers – and the show –

are a graveyard smash.

Sorry, Steve Burton Phelps and J. Jackson are in the Baby Jane Hudson category of talent.

blake replied

lol

34. Roberta says:

I absolutely loved this song as soon as I heard it! I searched for it right away and I’ve already downloaded it from iTunes. What makes it even more special is that Steve Burton wrote it and then got to sing backup vocals and that they played it on his show, the Young and the restless. Great job!

35. Karen B says:

The song IS SO BEAUTIFUL. Was watching Y&R only as white noise today; however, that song came on and perked up my musical ears. Want to use that song at our church – Jesus (Romeo) and all the Juliets. This secular song has such a great crossover. Can hardly wait to get their CD when available!

Great music, great singing, great lyrics – all in all GREAT! Keep on doing it!

36. Linda says:

What an awesome song, it’s a #1 hit!!!! So touching and beautiful! Have to have it! Saw it today on Y&R and couldn’t wait to see who it was by. Steven & Jonathan you need to write more songs together!

37. Etrendel Anderson-Green says:

That song is so,so awesome and an excellent choice appropiate for where and when it was played. WAY TO GO GUYS. Keep doing what you’re doing. Luv ya’.

38. Brenda says:

I had no idea Steve and Jonathan wrote and sang this. Excellent job guys!! I don’t have iTunes but I might download it now. GH lost some real talented actors there.

39. SANDY says:

I liked Steve on GH and I like him on YR. He has done a good job portraying a war vet. Th only complaint I have is Victor. For God sake write him a new line for him saying ” I don’t give a damn” He is a nasty bully and why do they make Nikki keep marrying him. He’s a creep.
    Don’t blame the actors for the story lines, blame the writers for some of the stupid stories.

40. Mo says:

Hauntingly beautiful. Gave me chills.

41. Toni says:

Loved it! I had know idea it was sung by Steve Burton and Jonathan Jackson. The montage was beautiful.

42. Tracy says:

Listened to the song yesterday and searched today for it. As I was listening to the beautiful song I was watching my husband sleep. He has a terminal brain tumor. These lyrics will touch so many people in so many ways. Thank you to Steve and Jonathan for this heart felt song.

43. Deej says:

Amazing song. Downloaded and playing. Very haunting melody and exquisite lyrics.

44. gm says:

I had no clue this was coming, much to my surprise, and you talk about crying my eyes out, Steve..Steve..Steve..Burton, if I could love you more as an actor(you hottie)you simply amazed me more! So glad you left GH! Now I want MORE of MM as well.

Great song, I purchased it on ITunes today and so did my friends! Jonathan, kudos to you as well, job well done! I see this going far! Thank you!

45. Peyton says:

I’m sooo impressed with the talent of Steve Burton and Jonathon Jackson. The two of you are amazing! I loved your online/bromance chemistry on GH, and now musically, you are both off the charts! Keep doing what you’re doing! We LUV you both!

46. Debbie says:

BEAUTIFUL!!! When I heard this song on the Y&R, I just had to try to find I, and I did, and already purchased it..

You guys, did a great job of musical collaboration, and it was GREAT!!! Hope the song goes far and touches a lot of hearts!
    Thank you both for giving the world such a beautiful song.

47. Sheila McCray says:

This song is Amazing. You both are very talented! It was very fitting to the storyline, it couldn’t have been more perfect. Hope it makes it to number 1! I totally love Dylan on Y&R. This song just shows that you are truly the Tender Hearted guy you play on the show. Keep up the Fabulous job!

48. Kim says:

I so would love to have the lyrics /words for this song. My daughter is in a pageant and I so would love for her to sing this as her state talent. Beautiful. What an amazing job and so emotional.

49. Jammie says:

When the song got about half way through the episode, I was already Googling it. But I was pleasantly surprised to read the history. Downloading and LOVING it!!!!

50. vanessa says:

Two words…LOVE IT

51. KELLY&MICHAEL FAN says:

can ME sing

congrats SBU

I HOPE ME CAN WRITE A SONG FOR KM WHEN RC HAVE THEM GET MARRIED ON THE SHOW!

52. terrib1233 says:

Loved it! Bought it! Steve Burton is so multi-talented as is Jonathan Jackson. JJ has a beautiful voice!

53. BethanyAK says:

Where can I get a copy of the lyrics? Beautiful!